Growth & Comfort Zones

I had a bit of an eye-opening week this past week, with moving out of my home (essentially homeless right now) and into the new gym, my life has been anything but routine.

I am such a creature of habit. I love having my meals prepped, my food ready to go, my “stuff” organized and in one spot. Currently I have a selection of clothes at Jordans, a pile of laundry at my Mom’s, the rest of my closet in my car, 20 boxes at the gym, and all my pantry items at Jordan’s. AH!! I thought my head was going to explode this week trying to eat healthy. I did my best, but eating out everyday definitely takes a toll, and not having my regular snacks available at work (and being there 14 hours a day) I found myself getting starving and binging on junk (specifically a bag of chocolate chips I kept in my car.. whoops). This totally reminded my about the importance of meal prep!  Get food READY so you don’t need to stress- you’ll save time, money, and energy by eating better foods. 

Anyway, I wanted to talk about growth and why it’s so important to push yourself out of your comfort zone on a regular basis. When I think about pushing out of my comfort zone, I think about doing big scary things- but that’s not actually what’s helped me improve in life.
how-to-expand-my-comfort-zone.jpg
Pushing out of your comfort zone is a series of baby tiny step
s that eventually lead to something GREAT. Looking back on now starting this studio, I realize all the tiny steps it took to get here.

First, I dared to dream. I knew what would be the ultimate goal and I didn’t let nay-sayers bring me down- I knew what I wanted to achieve, but did I even really think I could do it? Umm.. hell no!
Then, a whole lot of time passed but this studio was always on my mind. It started with just starting a Facebook page for my training business which took some guts for me. I still was slightly ashamed of my “fitnessy” posts and didn’t want to annoy my friends with it.
After I finally bit the bullet and made it one afternoon, I realized it wasn’t that hard.

Then, I started training people in my bedroom (yep) and outdoors in the park. (In fact, one of my clients that trained with me at a random park late at night in the dark is still with me, every single week.. 3 years later!)

It started growing with a small series of things.. I had an idea for the nutrition packages and even though I didn’t feel experienced enough, confident enough or ANYTHING enough to launch it- I did! And the response has been amazing ever since.

That led me into the 12 week challenge- a small idea that has helped a lot of people, and when I think about it I get a little teary eyed.

These series of small steps like starting an fitness instagram, going out on a limb and doing the “Fitmas” Challenge has slowly built my confidence up enough to realize- hey I can get a studio space!

It started so small, and the more I pushed myself out of my comfort zone the more you realize you can do.

The amazing part- is even once you reach that goal you thought was so unattainable at the time, there’s always more growth that can happen. I want to do so much more and that’s going to take more pushing out of the comfort zone.

Also, I had a bit of a lightbulb moment this week when it comes to motivation and “feeling like it”. YOU ARE NEVER GOING TO FEEL LIKE IT! I was always waiting for motivation to strike, or the “get up and go” feeling which is let’s face it.. rare. Once I realized I’m probably only going to “feel like it” about 5% of the time- I realized I need to PUSH MYSELF out of my comfort zone the other 95% of the time. To making those tough phones calls, to tackling anxiety, to replying to e-mails, to meeting new clients, to working out, to getting up early and not pressing snooze. As Nike would say- JUST DO IT.

The momentum you create from just doing it anyway- even if you don’t feel like – builds upon itself. It creates confidence, self efficacy, and most importantly growth. Then before you know it- your comfort “zone” just keeps getting bigger and keep doing more.

So, dare to dream about what you want.. and then start taking those tiny steps out of your comfort zone to get there. EVERYDAY try to do something that you don’t “feel like” doing. I certainly didn’t feel working out this afternoon or cooking dinner tonight, but I still did it and that feels pretty awesome.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s